What I offer
Both new and road-tested writers can benefit from an experienced writer and editor taking a fresh and honest outside look at their work.
I offer three levels of writing assessment: which suits you may depend on how much writing you have produced, the amount of time you’d like to work with me on it, and how much you are willing or able to pay.
In every case, I will provide detailed, honest and constructive feedback on your work. Everything I do will aim to bring out the best in what you are trying to do – to bring out your natural talents, to build on your strengths and to be honest about your weaknesses.
Areas I focus on may include:
- Strategy: what are you writing, why are you doing it, what do you want to achieve?
- Plot and structure: how have you built the architecture of your work?
- Character development: are you inhabiting the people you write about (real or imagined)?
- Originality: are you avoiding cliches, both in what you say and how you say it?
- Description: how are you using words to present the world?
- Getting the tone right: who are you speaking to, and what do you want them to hear?
- Grammar and spelling: have you got the basics right?
If you want to know what qualifies me to offer these services, see this page.
If you want a sneak preview of the kind of advice I offer to writers, see this page.
Book your tuition
There are three levels of tuition, ranging from a low-cost, one-off assessment of a piece of writing, up to a long course of personal mentoring. Each of them begins with you sending me a piece of work you’d like me to work with you on. As you do so, I’d like you to tell me something about it. For example: is it a stand-alone piece or part of a larger project? What are you trying to achieve with it? What do you think are its strengths and weaknesses? And – crucially – how can I help you to improve it?
I’ll read your work carefully, and respond at length with my comments. I will also annotate your manuscript itself with my observations, criticisms and suggestions. Depending on which session you have booked, I will then either offer you a final report on your work by email, or we’ll begin a longer conversation about how we can work together to sharpen your writing.
Before you book your session, please send me an email to check my availability. You can then pay using the Paypal buttons below, either with your Paypal account or with a credit or debit card. If you’d like to pay another way, let me know and we will sort something out.